Before you start decorating, there are some important Christmas lights safety tips to be aware of.
Research shows most of us use the same set of lights, year-on-year, which can get damaged while in storage. Here are the things you need to check, when taking your Christmas lights out of storage:
- Use a damp, cloth to gently wipe away excess dust.
- Tighten any loose bulbs.
- Avoid using lights with frayed or damaged cords or plugs.
Whether you’re using old or new Christmas lights, it is also important to:
- Check for Australian certification with 240v 50Hz compatibility.
- Use the lights correctly and always follow the manufacturer’s instructions., e.g. use indoor lights indoors and outdoor lights outdoors.
- Don’t alter or modify lights.
- Some lights can become very hot – ensure they are away from anything that may catch fire, such as your Christmas tree or presents.
- Keep Christmas lights out of reach of children and pets
- Avoid overloading your powerpoints and power boards.
- To prevent extension leads overheating, unwind them completely.
- Test your safety switch and smoke detector to make sure they are working.
- Always turn off your Christmas lights before going to bed or leave your house.